TRALA to Host Webinar with Georgia DOR to Discuss Tax Law Changes May 9
On May 9th at 2:00 PM EDT, TRALA will host a webinar with the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) to discuss the many changes to tax law that have transpired over the course of the last month. Representatives from the DOR will give a presentation to the attendees and then answer questions as to how these changes may/will affect your fleets.
As you may recall, the Georgia legislature passed House Bill 266 several weeks ago. HB 266 eliminated the local ad valorem property taxes in lieu of a one-time titling tax, called the Titling Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) of 6.5% but only for non-IRP plated vehicles based in the state. For IRP-plated vehicles, the "old" system remained - for the time being.
After HB 266 was enacted, the legislature quickly moved to pass another piece of legislation to alter the way IRP-plated vehicles are taxed in Georgia. House Bill 463 replaced the local ad valorem system for IRP vehicles with one where an annual ad valorem tax is paid as part of the truck's registration fee and the ad valorem part will be automatically apportioned as part of the IRP program. This will result in an increase in vehicle registration fees but in turn the old ad valorem system will be eliminated for IRP trucks and tractors. The impetus for this bill was to simplify Georgia's lengthy process for getting IRP-plated vehicles registered. It is important to note that HB 463 will not take effect until January 1, 2014.
TRALA supported both legislative efforts but they still have left many questions unanswered for TRALA members. This is your opportunity to directly ask the GA DOR how these changes might affect your rented or leased vehicles and we urge you to consider participating in this helpful webinar. The webinar instructions are as follows:
PARTICIPANT INSTRUCTIONS - MAY 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM EDT
- Call 1-866-961-8491 about 5-10 minutes prior to the actual start time
- Enter your PIN 111222
- Once connected to the conference, you will hear music on hold until the conference is started, or be connected directly to the conference if it has already begun
- During the conference, you will be in listen-only mode, until such time as you are enabled to ask questions
- Go to http://web.beaconlive.com
- On the Join a Meeting side of the login page, enter Meeting Room trala1
- Leave PIN Code field blank and enter your first name, last name and company name
- Click Join Meeting
If you have any questions about this webinar or plan to participate, please contact Jake Jacoby at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you.