Members own a quarter of all Class 2-8 trucks on the road
After completing an industry-wide survey of all TRALA members, ACT Research compiled the aggregate totals to illustrate the size and scope of the truck renting and leasing industry.
After completing an industry-wide survey of all TRALA members, ACT Research compiled the aggregate totals to illustrate the size and scope of the truck renting and leasing industry. These results are useful not only to TRALA members, but also to its customers, suppliers, manufacturers, and most importantly, to legislators at both the federal and state level, to demonstrate the importance of the industry as a whole to the overall U.S. economy.
Some of the findings include the following results:
- Number of Class 2-7 trucks in TRALA-member fleets total 347,181
- Number of Class 8 tractors in TRALA-member fleets total 189,285
- Of the Class 2-7 truck population, the approximate percent of primary use was:
- 46% consumer rental
- 30% commercial lease
- 22% commercial rental
- Of the Class 8 tractor population, the approximate percent of primary use was:
- 69% commercial lease
- 25% commercial rental
- TRALA members in 2014 purchased the following number of vehicles:
- 80,899 Class 2-7 trucks or 22% of all retail sales
- 42,423 Class 8 tractors or 25% of all retail sales
- Total annual "dry" rental and lease revenue for TRALA members totaled $13.91 billion
- Total TRALA-member employees equaled 57,501
- Total number of locations equaled 27,542
- TRALA members serve more than 37,000 commercial lease and rental customers
- Total consumer rental customers were approximately 15,879,000
- TRALA member share of all class 2-7 trucks on the road today is 22-24%
- TRALA member share of all Class 8 tractors on the road today is 25-28%
TRALA plans to update this data periodically by performing similar surveys every 2-3 years. In addition, TRALA will attempt to track its members' purchase numbers of Class 2-7 trucks and Class 8 tractors every year going forward to ensure that truck leasing and renting trends are kept up-to-date to help TRALA better serve the industry.
If you have any questions about the survey or the results, please contact Jake Jacoby at email@example.com or at 703-299-9120.